Apam Balik is a pancake drizzled with sugar, sweet corn, roasted peanuts and butter before folded into half while still fresh from the pan. It gets its name by the way the pancake is turnover when done, hence the term ‘balik’.
It is a snack commonly found sold fresh at morning and night markets that are suitable to be eaten for breakfast, tea or even supper.
In Malaysia, the Apam Balik comes in two versions – one provides a crips texture with crunches with every bite while the other is fluffy, soft and chewy yet moist. Both are equally flavourful, thanks to the various fillings that truly enhances the eating experience.
Variants of the Apam Balik can be found in neighbouring countries such as Singapore (as min jian kueh), Indonesia (as martabak manis) and Brunei – all with their unique twist, especially with the fillers.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cooking time | 25 minutes | Servings: 5
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ self-rising flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 1½ dry yeast
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- 1 cup warm milk
- Add all batter ingredients into a bowl and whisk until no lumps.
- Wrap with plastic wrap and set aside from in a warm place 30 minutes or until the batter gets foamy and doubles in volume.
- When ready, mix the batter before using.
- Melt some butter in a non-stick pan over medium heat and spread over the surface.
- Pour ¾ cup of batter into the pan (less if you like you Apam Balik thinner).
- Spread the batter evenly across the surface.
- Cover and cook for 2 -3 minutes until bubbles form.
- Sprinkle the sugar, peanuts and sweet corn onto the batter,
- Cover and cook for another 2 – 3 minutes
- After 2 -3 minutes, place some unsalted butter before folding and serving.
Tips for making Apam Balik
The Apam Balik is naturally thick, which makes it chewy and tough to bite. For a thinner texture, pour less batter into the pan.
You can get creative with your Apam Balik fillers as well. Cheese, banana and jam are some of the common variants. You can also drizzle some chocolate fudge, condensed milk, whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream while still hot after folding if it tickles your fancy.