Ayam goreng a.k.a fried chicken is surely everyone’s favourite that one can’t simply resist the temptation to sink their teeth into it, but Ayam Goreng Berempah? One would probably risk anything for it! Ayam goreng berempah is a Malaysian fried chicken that is marinated and fired with spices and herbs, crispy and crunchy on the outside, but juicy on the inside. One bite of ayam goreng berempah leads to another few bites and without you realising it, you’re already on your second or third piece! That’s when you know you gotta find out how to make one for yourself, your family and your friends! The best ayam goreng berempah is the one you can find during the month of Ramadan, but instead of heading to the nearest Ramadan bazaar, here is one recipe that unveils the secret to a flavourful and succulent ayam goreng berempah serving. Here is how to make ayam goreng berempah inside your own home.
- 6 chicken whole legs (cut into medium size pieces)
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour (to remove poultry smell)
- 2 stalks curry leaves
- 1 tbsp chilli paste
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 2 tbsp meat curry powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp fennel powder/jintan manis powder
- 2 inch ginger (skinned)
- 6 cloves garlic (skinned)
- 12 shallots (skinned)
- 6 lemongrass (use upper tender parts)
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 tbsp coriander powder/ketumbar powder
- 1 tbsp cumin powder/jintan putih powder
How to Make Ayam Goreng Berempah:
- Wash the chicken, coat and rub all-purpose flour into chicken. Then rinse and drain well.
- Cut the chicken into medium size pieces or as desired.
- Chop coarsely lemongrass, shallots, garlic, ginger and add a little water when grinding and set aside for later use.
- In a bowl, mix well all the coriander/ketumbar powder, fennel/jintan manis powder and cumin jintan putih powder, chili paste and turmeric.
- Add in one egg, followed by curry leaves and cornflour. Make sure to mix everything until well combined.
- Sprinkle salt and sugar to taste.
- Blend the fresh herb paste with the chicken pieces until the chicken is thoroughly coated with aromatic spices and seasoning. (put in a container and cover with plastic wrap to leave overnight in refrigerator)
- Take out the marinated chicken from the refrigerator 1 hour before frying the chicken. (to avoid it from being burnt on the outside but raw on the inside)
- Heat up enough oil to fry the chicken and fry some stalks of curry leaves for about 2-3 minutes over medium to low heat.
- Remove the fried curry leaves from the oil using a strainer. (set aside for garnishing)
- Put the marinated chicken into the curry leaves infused hot oil, piece by piece. (deep fry for 15-20 minutes until chicken is crispy, golden brown in colour and juices run clear)
- Once done, take out the fried chicken from oil using a strainer and drain the fried chicken on paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Remove the fried spiced crumbs from the oil and set aside to drain off excess oil. (it is one of the tastiest parts)
- Serve Ayam Goreng Berempah hot garnished with the fried curry leaves and crispy fried spiced crumbs for extra flavour.
Voila! You’re done! It’s only natural that the scent of freshly fried Ayam Goreng Berempah will make your mouth water. It will surely leave you wanting more too! If you ever feel like getting ingredients is a fuss, you might have not shopped at HappyFresh yet!
At HappyFresh, you’ll get the best and freshest handpicked groceries delivered to you. Now, that’s another secret to the heavenly taste of ayam goreng berempah, fresh ingredients! Enjoy a happy Ramadan this year with this recipe because you can now cook it at home for sahur, iftar or anytime you want.
Craving for more delicious Ramadan delights?
Check out our top Ramadan recipes: