Let’s be honest, pumpkins are seldom on your shopping list when you go do your grocery shopping. That is because most of us barely explore the pumpkins recipes or choose to not to incorporate pumpkins into our meals – when we really should. When cooked right coupled with the right ingredients, you will be able to prep some delicious and healthy pumpkin recipes.
Health Benefits of Pumpkins
Pumpkins are packed with vitamins, antioxidants and other nutritious values that are crucial in combating those pesky diseases. Pumpkins are known to:
- Lower risk of cancer
- Lower cholesterol
- Reduce weight loss
- Lower risk of heart diseases
- Body recovery
- Promote healthier skin
- Boost immunity levels
- Improve eyesight
Let us at HappyFresh sort out your groceries for you. Add those pumpkins to your cart, not to carve out your jack-o-lanterns, but to try out these yummy and healthy pumpkin recipes this Halloween season. Rest assured, it would be more satisfying than playing with your food.
How to Make Creamy Pumpkin Soup
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 medium-sized onion (sliced)
- 300g pumpkin (chopped)
- 1 ½ tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 ½ tsp pepper powder
- Heat the pan over medium flame, add olive oil.
- Add chopped garlic cloves and sauté for few seconds.
- Add sliced onion and sauté it until golden colour.
- Add chopped pumpkin and stir all together.
- Cover with the lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir.
- Add nutmeg and pepper powder before stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of water, cover the lid & cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add salt, and mix well.
- Reduce the flame to low and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Turn off the stove and leave to cool before blending it until smooth.
- Warm the soup in a pan or microwave & serve hot with spring onion, cream & pepper.
How to Make Pumpkin Pie
For the crust:
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter (melted and cooled slightly)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp fine salt
- 1 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
For the pie:
- 425g pumpkin purée (not pie mix)
- 400g can sweetened milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp fine salt
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- Whipped cream (optional)
For the crust:
- Stir the butter, vegetable oil, sugar, and salt together in a bowl.
- Add the flour and stir until it becomes a soft dough.
- Sprinkle small clumps of dough into a 9-1/2-inch deep-dish pie plate.
- Press the dough into the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate. Use either your fingers or the bottom of a measuring cup.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
For the pie:
- Turn on oven to 350°F, place the rack on the lower third and place a baking sheet on the rack to heat up.
- Place all the ingredients except the whipped cream into a separate bowl and whisk until smooth. Pour into the chilled pie crust.
- Place the pie on the hot baking sheet and bake for about 50 – 70 minutes or until the top starts to brown and the filling in the centre slightly jiggles.
- Remove the pie and leave it to cool before slicing and serving.
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Latte
- 2 cups milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- 2 tbsp pumpkin puree
- 1 – 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ strong coffee
- Whipped cream
For the puree
- For the puree, slice a whole pumpkin in half.
- Remove the seeds before sprinkling some salt to season.
- Place on the baking sheet upside down and bake until the flesh is soft
- Scrap the soft pumpkin flesh and blend until smooth.
- For the latte, add the milk, pumpkin puree, and sugar into the saucepan over medium heat and cook until steaming.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice and coffee.
- Serve with whipped cream and some pumpkin pie spice.
Looking to save even more on your groceries? eWang allows you to make payments and transfer money locally and overseas through your mobile device securely, whether it be your children living aboard or splitting the bill with your friends after dinner.
Get started! Download eWang for free on your mobile device, sign-up and use the code HAPPYFRESH5 to enjoy RM5 OFF your first remittance on service charge, it is that easy. Try it now!