Haven’t tasted any dessert that makes you drooling when you look at it or whenever you think of it? Wait until you try Kek Lapis, in Malaysia! Brace yourself for a delightfully rich taste of Kek Lapis you won’t be able to resist. And there is only one place you can get authentic and tastiest Kek Lapis, which is in Sarawak.
Kek Lapis is a layered cake, a sweet delicacy that is very unique. Every layer of Kek Lapis is fastened together with jam or a similarly sticky sweet ingredients and the method to make one is quite intricate. It also has various patterns and motifs to the cake too!
That is why it comes at a higher price and usually people would serve and eat it during special occasions. Ramadan? Open house during Raya? That’s the time where you will see Kek Lapis makes its appearance. But, there is no such rule to eat it at a specific time! You can have it any time and as much as you want if you are the baker.
One way to eat Kek Lapis the right way is to have it during tea time. Every bite of Kek Lapis with every sip of tea makes a perfect tea time for everyone! Umph… truly tempting!
So, never let expensive price and distance get in the way between Kek Lapis and you. Because, why do you have to go to all the way to Sarawak when you can just learn how to make Kek Lapis at home? This recipe is here to help you satisfy your sweet cravings without having to step out of the house!
Kek Lapis Recipe
- Lined and greased a 6 inch cake pan. Preheat oven to 380 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Beat butter and condensed milk until smooth. Then, leave aside.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks and icing sugar until pale and thick.
- Add in butter into egg yolk mixture.
- Lastly, add in sifted flour in 2 batches until combined.
- Turn the oven to grill function. Put cake pan into the oven for 1 minute.
- Put a small ladle ( about 2.5 oz) batter into pan and spread evenly. Bake for 5 minutes or until the top turns brown.
- Then, remove it from the oven and and scoop the same amount of batter for the second layer. Repeat the same process.
- After you have finished the last layer, turn the oven to bake function. Cover the top of the cake with aluminium foil and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove it and cool on a wire rack.
So, there you go. A recipe that will either make you jump for joy or make your mind blown away because of how simple it actually is. Whichever it is, every bite of Kek Lapis that goes into your mouth will make you couldn’t stop saying ‘Yummm~’.
You really don’t have to worry about anything when making Kek Lapis as HappyFresh will always be there to help you get the ingredients you need and do your grocery shopping as well.