Chicken porridge has long been considered “sick” people food for a long time, particularly in many traditional Asian households in Malaysia. Whenever we visit the doctor, be it because we have a sore throat or an unsetting stomach, we are always advised to take it easy on the oily and fried delicacies. That would mean having to gobble up a bowl of warm porridge or soup until we recover.
However, contrary to popular opinion, chicken porridge has moved beyond the label of “sick” peoples food to comfort food as seen selling well in fast food franchises across the country in McDonald’s and KFC, indicating if cooked well can be a delicious meal to keep your body warm during the cold rainy days – not to mention easy to make at home.
So how about it? Wing one in your kitchen with a keto twist to your chicken porridge recipe. Instead of using the usual generic rice, this recipe will use cauliflower as an alternative base for a lower carb version to a chicken porridge recipe. Cook up and dig in!
Keto Chicken Porridge Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 30 minutes | Serving: 2
- 6 pieces chicken wings (cut in half)
- 2 slices ginger
- 300g cauliflower (chopped into florets)
- Sea salt / Himalayan salt
- White pepper
- In a saucepan, add ginger and chicken wings. Cover with water.
- Put the lid on and let simmer for about 20 minutes until chicken is cooked.
- Remove chicken from the pot. Add cauliflower and let cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Blend cauliflower into a smooth puree.
- Add the chicken back into the pot.
- Season with sea salt and white pepper.
- To serve, add egg and let poach for 3 minutes.
- Scoop porridge (egg included) into a serving bowl and garnish with the rest of the toppings